I received an email asking me if I would like to spread the word to my readers about the Apartment Guide Your Picks Your Place Sweepstakes. Sure! What home decor aficionado~home remodelista wouldn’t love to further their home improvement knowledge, and the chance to win a $10,000 grand prize? The sweepstakes focuses on home improvement, and features weekly prizes to help both experts and beginners update their spaces. One lucky winner will also receive a $10,000 grand prize. I think this qualifies as a newsworthy home decor show & tell!
Is your place in need of a style update? Apartment Guide has partnered with TV host and design expert Kim Myles for the second annual Apartment Guide “Your Picks. Your Place.” You can enter now for a chance to win a $10,000 grand prize or one of eight $250 weekly prizes to go towards your own selections for your home. You can visit YourPicks. YourPlace.com and vote daily for your favorite room design. From now until August 14th, you can enter to win the $10,000 grand prize or one of eight weekly $250 prizes. The site will feature four different room designs every two weeks. By voting, you’ll be entered for a chance to win a $10,000 grand prize or one of eight $250 weekly prizes to go toward your own selections for your home.
Also, throughout the sweepstakes Kim will be sharing budget-friendly and easy-to-implement decor ideas. Below, I have included her top 10 tips for renters.
Small Investment, Big Impact:
Top 10 Design Tips for the Commitment-Phobe from Kim Myles
1. Use fabric and wallpaper in unexpected ways by framing and hanging pieces to add pops of color and interest to bare walls.
2. Add a big rug to inject color and pattern into a space. Don’t be afraid to put carpet on top of carpet.
3. Divide a room and add color using a folding screen that can also provide extra storage space behind it.
4. Transition your dining area for a dinner party using items on hand. Empty wine bottles and tapered candles can become a DIY candelabra, and flowers or leaves from the outdoors can become instant centerpieces.
5. Choose foundation items like couches in neutral colors so that you can update your decor easily over time with patterned pillows, colored accent chairs and unique wall art.
6. No headboard? No problem. Create your own using a stenciled canvas or a reclaimed item like an old mantle.
7. Hang shelves from a single bar installed near the ceiling to minimize wall damage and take advantage of vertical storage space.
8. Mirrors should be in everyone’s decor tool kit. Cluster groups of smaller mirrors together on a wall to add glamour without the investment of a big piece.
9. Make furniture work to live in your space. Choose items that provide extra hidden storage and users, like storage ottomans that double as coffee tables, sleeper sofas and bookcases with bins.
10. Create a floating wall by hanging a floor-to-ceiling curtain from a rod hung from the ceiling, and just one foot out from a bare wall. Fill in the space with shelves or large items such as bikes.
Our son called this week with exciting news- he signed the lease on a house. I remember how excited we were when we leased our first house, which eventually we purchased. Good times! Kim Myles Top 10 Design Tips is timely and good information.
Take a look at the Your Picks. Your Place. Sweepstakes if it piques your interest. Good luck, and if you do enter and win, please share it with us!
Disclosure: I have not been compensated in any way for this post.