Signs and sounds hinting at an early fall or autumn leads to wishfall thinking.
Concrete proof of fall’s preview peppers the Places In The Home driveway, sidewalk and patio with yellow leaves intermingled among summer’s last holdouts.
As I blog and type “Dancing In The Moonlight” by King Harvest is currently playing on Music Choice.
Now “Night Moves” by Bob Seger is playing.
Two songs played back to back with the lyrics everybody’s dancin’ in the moonlight and with autumn closing in.
Changing colors, temps and tastes.
Oh yeah, this is happening.
We crazy Louisianians grab hold of the slightest hint of a fall weather preview and hold on for dear life.
Louisianians Ellen DeGeneres and Britney Spears
Dave and I stood on the front porch for a few minutes Friday night listening to the high school bands playing during the local football Jamboree.
Humidity and mosquitoes crashed our party, making me wish for fall even more.
Hope springs or falls eternal, and I can testify to sure signs of wishfall thinking- shorter days, a changing sun that casts a bright white light through the windows, and wind chimes that play a North wind lullaby.
The first gumbo feast of fall is soon to be cooking in the big blue pot.
I couldn’t wait until the official arrival of fall for a gumbo feast.
No respectable Louisiana cook can talk about gumbo and not break out the big blue pot, make some roux, chop up the Cajun trinity, and whip up a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo.
C’est si bon!
The hunt is on for Sportsman’s Paradise activities to do.
Fall festivals of pecan, tamale, meat pie, and funktoberfest are on our fall calendar of events.
A new to me vintage mixing bowl is ready for fall recipe duty.
A bag of fresh and faux apples and a dash of wishfall thinking leads the inspired charge to create delicious apple themed recipes and diy projects.
A Guide to Apples from Williams-Sonoma
1. Cortland – Crimson in color with a sweet flavor and crisp texture. Best for: applesauce and apple butter.
2. Red Delicious – Softer in texture with a mellow, not-too-sweet flavor. Best for: apple cider
3. Braeburn – Reddish-orange with green and yellow streaks and a unique sweet-tart flavor. Best for: cooking and baking
4. Gravenstein – A juicy apple with a finely-grained texture and a light yellow or red skin. Best for: applesauce and apple cider
5. Gala – Sweet, aromatic and crisp with a light-red color. Best for: eating raw and applesauce
6. Fuji – Crisp texture and dense flesh with a sugary-sweet flavor. Best for: eating raw
7. Pink Lady – Crisp in texture and bright pink with a tart-sweet flavor. Best for: eating raw
8. Golden Delicious – Very sweet to the taste with a golden yellow color. Best for: applesauce and apple butter
9. Granny Smith – Very tart and crisp with a bright green color. Best for: baking
Wishfall thinking exhibit A as in a fall diamond in the summer rough.
The seasons they are a-changin’.
There is nothing like a good fall preview or autumn sneak peek to build the anticipation of seasonal things to come.
By all accounts, it’s fall y’all!